Joyce’s blocks arrived in the mail this week, and I started working on the them immediately.
This block had very few colors in it, so I got the hex color of the blue section I wanted to embroider, then used the green that is a split complimentary of it for the crossed buttonhole stitch, the small straight stitch stem, and the little detached chain stitch for a leaf. The “flowers” were made with turquoise sequins held in place with little seed beads.
Then to add a bit more of the green to the block, I stitched some French Knots on one of the previously stitched seams.
I added some metallic rick-rack trim couched in place with the chevron stitch. Then I added to the seam treatment on the left by added a white straight stitch inside a detached chain stitch to match the one on the other side. Next was a detached chain stitch around that with DMC Precious Metals. It gave a nice padded effect to the original detached chain.
To finish off that seam, I sewed some small seed beads down the center. That seam had a lot of steps to it before I added mine, and now it is really complex. If this RR taught me anything, it’s that the more passes and techniques used on a seam, the more I like it.
The bottom corner was blank and Joyce said she likes butterflies, so I painted a small butterfly motif I had, and beaded that. It nicely fills in that bottom corner.
I hope you like what I added to your first two blocks, Joyce. Two down, seven more to go.