Peggy’s block (from the FFT’s Round Robin) has been on my dining room table for almost a full month, as I’ve been stuck with what I should add to the block. The mailing date is fast approaching, so it is time to get embroidering.
After complaining about being stuck on the crazyquilt international list recently, I got an idea of how to get unstuck. Venting must do me good, because as I was typing about my frustration, the solution was making itself known.
Paint Shop Pro to the rescue. I took a photo of the block and used the dropper tool to get the hex number. Then I went to the color wizard – http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorwizard.asp – and typed in the hex number. I set the color, then selected the complimentary key. Hmm, good contrasts, but a bit too strong. Split-complimentary might be better, so I selected that next and voila!!! There were the colors that I’d use in Peggy’s block.
The piece of fabric I embroidered was the green one. I added a stem stitch leaf with variegated greens. I wanted the leaf to blend with the fabric, but it needed a little pizazz, socouched some of the straight stitches with a metallic black/grey thread, and also sewed the center vein with the metallic, shading it with a bit of the green thread.
The flower is another variegated thread and straight from the split-complimentary shades. The flower center has white/yellow rayon boucle stitching with white/gold metallic French knots. It’s subtle, but the metallic reflects the light beautifully.
I still have a couple of seam treatments to embroider and maybe one more motif, and need to make sure I leave enough room for the next 2 people to add their contributions to Peggy’s block. Guess once I get unstuck, it’s hard for me to stop. 😉