There is a new bit of embroidery to report on the crazy quilt block. I got the brilliant idea to add a crewel floral motif to the block while I was watching Dr Who Friday night. That’s what happens when I listen to English spoken with a British accent – Jacobean embroidery comes to mind. 😉
I’m quite pleased with the motif – even though I strayed a bit from the traditional crewel look of having one side of the leaf be padded satin stitch and the other an open embroidery design. The trellis stitch or scattered French knots did not look well against the netted background fabric, while it’s nicely visible in the flower section against the solid color.
I also placed a little butterfly bead in the area. It’s not sewn into place yet as I don’t know if I’ll like it there or under the flower. It depends on what seam embroidery I add to the netted fabric.
The half buttonhole wheel seam embroidery was added to the right, and I haven’t decided if I’ll add another layer to that seam but most likely will. Once those 2 seams are completed, the butterfly will alight where it belongs best. 😉
I am really enjoying working on this block. There are still 2 more days in this week and then I’ll consider myself halfway through the course. Nothing like being behind.