Today was the day to mail Marya’s block to Gerry, and I finished in the nick of time. Marya’s block was beautiful, but I had major trouble deciding what to add to this block. The trick was to start, and there is nothing like a looming mailing deadline to jumpstart a project.
As usual, I added the foreground work before the background. At least, I’m consistent. LOL I couched the gold braid around the heart first, and loved it, but the tone on tone background fabric needed something. I love Jacobean embroidery and thought maybe a diamond trellis would look nice behind the heart. Out came my tracing paper and 60 degree ruler. I drafted a small diamond design and liked the proportions, so used it as my pattern. 3 strands of DMC Antique Effects Metallic thread were used for the straight lines of the trellis, and held in place by Mill Hill gold beads.
The vintage handkerchief in the lower right corner inspired me to add a tatted heart I made a few months ago. They both seem to be from the same era.
Then I added a piece of lace to the bottom left corner.
I appliqued some flower buds to the lace, and highlighted the leaves and flower printed on the fabric with some YLI silk thread. This thead is gorgeous. I had purchased some last year for myself, and this is the first time I used it. Embroidering with silk thread is a joy. The silk glides through the fabric and has beautiful sheen. Some French knots and yellow beads were added to the flower center and the block was ready to make the trip to Gerry’s house.
Kim’s block arrived Saturday and I’m saving it for later this week. I’m having some minor foot surgery on Thursday, and this will be great fun to work on while I’ll be recuperating.