I fell in love with Kim’s crazy quilt block the minute I saw it and took my time deciding what to add to it. It’s a bit scary when you embroider on someone else’s crazy quilt block. Foremost in my mind is – DON’T MESS IT UP. I do hope that Kim will like my contribution to her block:
Aren’t her embroidered hearts gorgeous? Kim did all the silk ribbon work and did a beautiful job. A couple of them seemed like they needed a bit more embellishment (I do so love encrusted crazy quilts) so I added a rayon machine embroidered motif that I made to this block:
I added the 3 heart buttons to this next heart and the seam treatment:
It’s hard to photograph silky fabric. Between today’s bright sunshine and the shiny fabric, this was about the best I could do. The seam embroidery on this heart is small, but it’s a stem stitch arched over the heart buttons using a solid DMC color. Next was an overlapped arched in the same thread, this time with a lighter color wrapped around each stitch. The addition of little leaves completed that small seam. I can’t take credit for coming up with this idea. Connie used it for her encrusted crazy quilt block and I “borrowed” it for Kim’s block.
This next photo shows a silk ribbon seam, a crocheted heart, and an embroidered peacock feather:
The silk ribbon seam is overlapped fly stitch. In the center of the fly stitches are a detached daisy stitch, flanked by some straight stitches. I used 2 colors, but it’s very hard to see. The darker color is a variegated DMC thread and the lighter cream color is linen thread with tiny cream glass beads.
The crochet heart was made with sewing thread and a size 8 crochet hook. I didn’t have any smaller than that. A big thank-you goes out to Rose Anne. She had one posted on her blog and kindly shared the pattern with me. I added a sequin flower to the center to notch up the glam factor.
The peacock feather is my design. I beaded the center and outlined it in metallic thread, then used my hand dyed cotton thread to back stitch the feathers. A stem stitch was used for the stem. While the colors were perfect for the feather, they didn’t show up much in the block, so I wrapped 2 strands of a Gutterman metallic thread around each stitch so it would be a bit more visible.
I really wanted to bead the entire feather, but this block will be going to Australia and all those beads would have made for one heavy package. I also did not want the feather to overshadow Kim’s embroidered hearts. Those hearts are wonderful focal points, and deserve all the attention. Everything I added, I wanted to behave as a supporting cast – adding interest, but not hogging the limelight. 😉