As promised, I’m back to finish the Hole Mole Challenge story. My leg surgery was in the middle of this quilt construction, so I rested for a couple of days while my brain was busily considering techniques and options for emphasizing the curved piecing and for adding the bright colors that were in the mola.
Various widths of black thread zig-zags along the curves helped to define the curves, and weaving has always appealed to me, so I decided to fuse small wavy strips of color to the center to add the bright colors. They are supposed to look like they are floating over the base:
When the quilt comes back home, I plan on adding quite a few more fused or embroidered wavy lines. I think it’s a bit sparse right now, but the challenge deadline was looming. One of these years, my propensity for procrastination – and alliteration 😉 will get me in deep trouble, but I was able to make the deadline – by almost 24 hours.
Next was the border. The angular design around the mola really appealed to me, but I did not want to copy the entire border. Instead, I drew one of the border designs on graph paper, cut it out, and placed it over fused fabric. Then I traced around the paper cut out and added the 2 corner motifs. 10 small fused lines were added alongside the corner motifs. Here is the first version:
It is not what I wanted. I fused one group of small 10 pieces to the wrong side. All I can say is don’t fuse fabric to a border when you are taking Tylenol with codeine. That section had to be cut out and replaced. I tried to reheat and remove the fused pieces, but there was fusible residue left behind, and some pieces just wouldn’t pull up. Thank heavens I had enough fabric to replace that small section. This is how I wanted it to be:
Now, it was shaping up. But it needed a third focal point. One of my best friends always talked about the holy trinity of good design – 3 focal points. They serve to add interest to the surface, and keep your eye moving across the piece. It’s hard to see in the photo, but there is also a hidden hummingbird quilted on the quilt:
Next was the quilting. The wavy fabric strips were quilted with invisible nylon thread and the border was quilted with a rayon thread that was a close match to the fabric. Then out came black acrylic paint. It was scary to paint on a fully quilted piece, but I wanted the fused orange border designs to relate to the mola. Black paint down the center of the fused pieces hopefully gives that section a mola-like effect.
This quilt was faced instead of using a regular quilt binding, and I’m really happy with how that turned out. A 2″ hanging sleeve was attached to the back, and the label was added last. Voila, the finished quilt:
I hope you all enjoyed reading about how this 24″ x 24″ art quilt “The Flight of the Hummingbird” was created. Now to clean up my sewing room, and start the next project.