Hole Mole Challenge II

As promised, I’m back to finish the Hole Mole Challenge story.  My leg surgery was in the middle of this quilt construction, so I rested for a couple of days while my brain was busily considering techniques and options  for emphasizing the curved piecing and for adding the bright colors that were in the mola. 

Various widths of black thread zig-zags along the curves helped to define the curves, and weaving has always appealed to me, so I decided to fuse small wavy strips of color to the center to add the bright colors.  They are supposed to look like they are floating over the base:

IMG_0001 center fused and pin basted

 

When the quilt comes back home, I plan on adding quite a few more fused or embroidered wavy lines.   I think it’s a bit sparse right now, but the challenge deadline was looming.  One of these years, my propensity for procrastination – and alliteration 😉 will get me in deep trouble, but I was able to make the deadline – by almost 24 hours. 

Next was the border.  The angular design around the mola really appealed to me, but I did not want to copy the entire border.  Instead, I drew one of the border designs on graph paper, cut it out, and placed it over fused fabric.  Then I traced around the paper cut out and added the 2 corner motifs.  10 small fused lines were added alongside the corner motifs.    Here is the first version:

IMG_0002 totally fused but on the wrong side
It is not what I wanted.  I fused one group of small 10 pieces to the wrong side.  All I can say is don’t fuse fabric to a border when you are taking Tylenol with codeine.    That section had to be cut out and replaced.  I tried to reheat and remove the fused pieces, but there was fusible residue left behind, and some pieces just wouldn’t pull up.  Thank heavens I had enough fabric to replace that small section.  This is how I wanted it to be:

IMG_0003 totally fused
Now, it was shaping up.  But it needed a third focal point.  One of my best friends always talked about the holy trinity of good design – 3 focal points.  They serve to add interest to the surface, and keep your eye moving across the piece.  It’s hard to see in the photo, but there is also a hidden hummingbird quilted on the quilt:

IMG_0006 embroidered hummingbird
It was a bit too hidden though, so a  black bead was added after the photo was taken.  This way it’s  a little easier to locate. 

Next was the quilting.  The wavy fabric strips were quilted with invisible nylon thread and the border was quilted with a rayon thread that was a close match to the fabric.  Then out came black acrylic paint.  It was scary to paint on a fully  quilted piece, but I wanted the fused orange border designs to relate to the mola.  Black paint down the center of the fused pieces  hopefully gives that section a mola-like effect.

This quilt was faced instead of using a regular quilt binding, and I’m really happy with how that turned out.  A 2″ hanging sleeve was attached to the back, and the label was added last.  Voila, the finished quilt:

IMG_0008 finished

 

I hope you all enjoyed reading about how this 24″ x 24″ art quilt  “The Flight of the Hummingbird” was created.  Now to clean up my sewing room, and start the next project.

Hugs….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: