It took me forever to finish this block. The reason? I was stumped about adding something to the previous embroidery. I managed to add a tiny gold stitch over the bars of Rose Anne’s white herringbone stitch, but that white stopped me in my tracks.
It’s a very nice seam treatment, and the colors work well with the block, and I was happy with the little bit of gold I added to it, but then I hit the proverbial embroidery wall. Oh, I could have added beads to those little blocks on point, but these blocks have to be shipped to Australia, and beading makes for expensive shipping. Plus, I used beads on the previous block, so didn’t want to use them on this one too.
The mail date was fast approaching, so I finally admitted defeat, and proceeded to start a new seam:
My contribution to Merle’s beautiful block was the previously mentioned little straight stitch on the white blocks with 3 strands DMC Precious Metal E3852. Then a brand new Herringbone stitch over the light green and red/orange silk pieces withe 2 strands YLI Jeans Stitch # 9. Followed up with a straight stitch and 2 detached chain stitches to form a stem and leaves with 1 strand DMC Rayon # 30501. And last but not least, finishing off with French Knots made with 2 strands DMC Jewel Effects # E3837 – wrapped twice around the needle.
I like the color combinations I used, and have to say, I hate stitching with DMC Jewel Effects metallic thread, but love how it looks. With my wonky eyes, a needle threader was necessary, plus the thread splits and frays easily. Using shorter thread lengths solved the splitting and fraying issue. Only God or my surgeon is going to fix my wonky eyes, and I’m hoping it’s God who takes over that job. I’d just as soon avoid having retina surgery, thank-you very much.
I hope you’ll like what I added to your block, Merle.
Our garden is barely coping with the drought conditions we’re experiencing this year, but you can rely on sturdy zucchini plants to produce no matter what the weather is like. We like the homemade soup I make all winter long, and it’s a lot of fun to add ingredients from the garden. My husband invested in a little dehydrator a long time ago, and I’ve been dehydrating zucchini for our winter soups. Here’s what the zucchini looked like starting out:
And here’s what they looked like 24 hours later:
The beauty of dehydrating veggies is it’s darn easy. As a person who has canned, pickled, blanched, and frozen just about every veggie and fruit that grows in Upstate New York, this is a neat way to preserve garden produce. It doesn’t have to be stored in the freezer, so if you lose your electricity, it’s no big deal. You don’t have a lot of heavy glass jars filled with food that might or might not have sealed either. It takes just a little electricity, and you don’t have to spend the hottest days of summer over a hot stove. That’s a win-win in my book.
I only have one more batch to go and will have enough for the entire winter. Yeah for that dehydrator because it will be needed for tomatoes soon.
One last food related picture. I enjoy cooking, and this grilled fish and zucchini turned out so nicely, I had to take a picture of it:
Too bad I forgot to put the cherry tomatoes on the plate before I took the photo. Those bright red tiny tomatoes looked so pretty against the grilled green zucchini and white fish. Seems I like color equally well in my fiber art, and on my supper plate. LOL