After taking a break for a couple of years, I am again participating in the Rochester Contemporary Art Center’s global art exhibit. You can read about RoCo‘s mission by clicking on the name.
It started with a gelatin print I made a few years ago, that also has some gold metallic eraser dots scattered over the surface. Then I looked through the embroidery designs in my sewing machine, and selected a design that looked like a swirling galaxy, with shooting stars being flung from the center.
I didn’t sew out the design exactly as programmed. Instead of 3 little dots over the extended rays, I went through my beads and came up with some rock looking pieces. They were attached with a seed bead in deep burgundy.
The backing was fused on next, and then 4 strands of yarn were twisted and zig zagged in place to cover the edges. It’s the first time I’ve used yarn instead of a binding, and while it wouldn’t work for something that was going to be laundered a lot, it’s a nice look for a piece that will be hanging on a wall. It adds texture, and a touch of whimsy.
I haven’t decided if I’m going to quilt it or not. The batting is kept in place by the embroidered design, so it really isn’t necessary, but I’m thinking it would look nice. Since I have to deliver it Thursday morning, the quilting will be done if time permits.