Studio Remodel – II

Lots to report on my sewing studio – thank goodness. It’s been close to 2 months since I’ve had access to my sewing machine, and I’ve really missed sewing.

The painting was completed the first week in December by Frank Incardona. He did a great job matching the color I had selected, and the room turned out great. Here he is in the midst of it all:

Frank painting

He removed hooks and patched everything to perfection, and even chipped in to help the electrician who came when I experienced a mini electrical emergency. An outdoor light fixture broke, and when you live in the country, you really can’t have holes in the outside of your house. Before you know it, you’ll have lots of chipmunks and squirrels cohabitating. They are really cute critters, but unbelievably destructive when they get inside a house.

The sewing machine table was the next item on my list, and it wasn’t easy to find a solution. I am extremely short-waisted, and as long as everything was being remodeled, I decided it was time for a new table. To the internet I went. Even the adjustable table legs at Ikea were too tall for my sewing comfort.

Finally, I gave in and ordered some Bisley cabinets to use as a base. The model I selected is only 23″ high. Two of them were ordered, and they were a perfect solution for thread storage too:

table with cabinets

Each cabinet has 10 drawers – count them – 10 drawers. Hopefully, most of my thread collection will fit into those two cabinets.

The cabinets were placed on top of the floor mat I ordered, and sticky pad were placed under the cabinets so they wouldn’t slide off the floor mat. Then onto the table top. There are two layers of melamine boards on top of the cabinets.

The top layer has two long metal bars screwed along the edges, so the table top will stay nice and flat. Those long silver metal bars also look great with the metal handles on the drawers, but had no business being placed against the top of those nice metal cabinets. Hmmm, what to do? After a few minutes, I suggested to my husband he could use the rest of the melamine board to place under the table top to act as a buffer. He measured and cut pieces to nestle inside the metal reinforcing bars perfectly. And this is a side view:

table side view

The cabinets were expensive, but the melamine board was not. We did buy some sealing tape, so all the edges were nice and white and finished, and it was a piece of cake to attach those.

I am happy as can be with this table. It’s the perfect height for me, and it’s adapatable. I can add more cabinets and make it longer, it will easily fit into just about any location, and hold just about any home sewing machine.

After spending a LOT of money on a Horn cabinet, that was made totally obsolete when I updated to a larger sewing machine, I decided no more all in one cabinets. Going modular will ensure this set-up can be used for years and years, plus it’s a heck of a lot less expensive. That’s a win-win in my book.

Hugs…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: