My cutting table has been moved into the sewing studio, and the Ikea wire basket system I use to store some of my fabric fits perfectly underneath it. The room still has no window treatments, so the fabric needed protection from the light.
With practically no thought, I measured the system and made a nice neat cover. I even bothered to make flat felled seams so no threads would come loose. Now that was total overkill for this project. It fit perfectly, which is great, but I didn’t think about what I was making. Big mistake. Yes, the fabric is protected, but to get to the fabric, you have to roll the cart out from under the table, and totally remove the cover.
I can do better than that, and I did, today:
All the cover needed was flap on the end – not sewn to the rest of the cover. That flap flips right up, and I can slide each wire basket out to select fabric without removing the entire cart. The well designed cover is on the left. The other cover, which works, but will be a PITA to use, is on the right.
This is what happens when I don’t take the time to think about what I’m making, and how it will be used. In my defense, I was so excited to be sewing again, I don’t think my brain was operating on all its cylinders. That’s my story, and I’m going to stick to it. 😉