Archive for May, 2015

Wonky 9 Patch

May 31, 2015

This week was spent exploring different methods of making a wonky 9 patch square.  Now you’d think this would be easy, but I had a heck of a time trying to be a wonky piecer.

I started by making a traditional 9 patch a little larger than wanted, then placed a square ruler at angles on top of the square, trimmed around the ruler, and voila:

red green straightred and green

I did not like this one little bit, most likely because I used 10″ blocks, and the center block – be it white or a fabric print, was way too prominent.  Attempting to get rid of that large center square, I sliced and diced one of the blocks, and inserted some fabric strips.  Still didn’t like it.

Next, I thought it might work much better if I used uneven fabric squares, or long strips of fabrics cut with a gentle curve:

stripes

Now this might work well, but I used a striped fabric, and it really distracts from the effect I was trying to attain.

Onwards to another idea.  This time I used a 9″ block – 1 solid, 1 print,  placed them on my cutting mat right sides up, then made an angled straight cut:

step 1

Took the print fabric from the bottom right, and sewed it to the solid color piece of fabric on the left, and sewed the bottom pieces together also.  Then another angled straight cut was made on the left.

step 2

Again the fabrics were shuffled, and sewn together:

step 3

Then I made the spectacular mistake of cross cutting these squares into way too many skinny strips.  I didn’t bother sewing them together, as I thought I royally screwed up.  Now that I’m taking the time to reflect on this atempt, I will sew them together.  Like all good fiber artists, I saved the cut fabric.  I’m so glad I did.

Next was a smaller block – 6″, again a solid and a print, cut and shuffled like the last attempt, with only 2 horizontal cuts made:

step 4

Much better proportions.  One set was made with straight cuts, and one set was made with gentle curves:

4 finished blocks

Now this is more like it.  Finally, I got some wonky blocks.

I hope some of you get inspired to get your wonkiness on.  😉

Hugs…

Design Wall & Telephone/Whisper Quilt – Fiberistas Members Don’t Read This Post

May 14, 2015

Four  design boards have been added to my sewing studio lately.  I used the tutorial from The Quilting Edge, and it is brilliant.  I now have 10′ of horizontal design wall when I want.

I placed two boards on either side of my north facing window, and when I want to utilize the entire width, I remove the window drapes, place a flannel sheet over the drapery rod, and Voila, I have a nice wide design wall.  When I don’t need that large a space, I remove the sheet, and I still have 4′ on each side of the window, and that works great too.

In between way too many doctors’s appointments and tests, I’ve been quietly creating art quilts, but haven’t posted what I’ve been making as the pieces are part of my Fiberistas group Telephone/Whisper quilt challenge.

Quilt club was today, and a member mentioned it’s been a long time since I’ve posted, so thought I’d risk posting this, and hope my Fiberista friends stop reading this post here.

Each member created a small quilt in January 2015, and passed it to another member.  The second person creates a quilt inspired by the first quilt.  The first quilt is then sealed in an envelope, and then placed in a box with the second quilt.  Together, they are passed to a third member.  The third member makes a quilt inspired by the second quilt.  Seals up the second quilt, puts that in the box with the sealed first quilt, adds the quilt she made, and passes it on to another member, and so on, until we’ve all created a quilt for each phone line.

There are 9 of us participating in this challenge, and we aren’t supposed to cheat by opening any of the sealed envelopes.  Here is a picture of the most recent small quilt I created for the challenge:

Steph finished quilt

I selected some quotes about leaves, attributed them to the author, and printed them out on interleaving paper, cut out squares and rectangles that were then sewn onto the base fabric.  I do wish I had printed this out on fabric instead of the paper though.  I’m a bit worried the paper will be easily torn.

Btw, it’s really easy to design and print text using a Word type program.  I used Microsoft Word and it has oodles of fonts.  You can change the size, and color, plus you can change the background color.  Nothing like customized printing.

Then I took a cloth napkin, cut out some rectangles, and free-hand drew some leaves on it with a brown Sharpie.  Sewed them down, and frayed the fabric edges.

Some of you might recognize the base fabric from an earlier post that was dyed, painted, shibori dyed, and then painted a bit more.  There are gold circles on this fabric so I thought a little repetition of the shape would look nice, but do wish I had used sheers for the circles.  They are awfully prominent on this piece.

Those are the only two things I would change, but when you have a deadline, you have to keep it.  With 9 people participating in a challenge like this, you really don’t want to be the person who messes up the rotation.

Hugs…