Four design boards have been added to my sewing studio lately. I used the tutorial from The Quilting Edge, and it is brilliant. I now have 10′ of horizontal design wall when I want.
I placed two boards on either side of my north facing window, and when I want to utilize the entire width, I remove the window drapes, place a flannel sheet over the drapery rod, and Voila, I have a nice wide design wall. When I don’t need that large a space, I remove the sheet, and I still have 4′ on each side of the window, and that works great too.
In between way too many doctors’s appointments and tests, I’ve been quietly creating art quilts, but haven’t posted what I’ve been making as the pieces are part of my Fiberistas group Telephone/Whisper quilt challenge.
Quilt club was today, and a member mentioned it’s been a long time since I’ve posted, so thought I’d risk posting this, and hope my Fiberista friends stop reading this post here.
Each member created a small quilt in January 2015, and passed it to another member. The second person creates a quilt inspired by the first quilt. The first quilt is then sealed in an envelope, and then placed in a box with the second quilt. Together, they are passed to a third member. The third member makes a quilt inspired by the second quilt. Seals up the second quilt, puts that in the box with the sealed first quilt, adds the quilt she made, and passes it on to another member, and so on, until we’ve all created a quilt for each phone line.
There are 9 of us participating in this challenge, and we aren’t supposed to cheat by opening any of the sealed envelopes. Here is a picture of the most recent small quilt I created for the challenge:
I selected some quotes about leaves, attributed them to the author, and printed them out on interleaving paper, cut out squares and rectangles that were then sewn onto the base fabric. I do wish I had printed this out on fabric instead of the paper though. I’m a bit worried the paper will be easily torn.
Btw, it’s really easy to design and print text using a Word type program. I used Microsoft Word and it has oodles of fonts. You can change the size, and color, plus you can change the background color. Nothing like customized printing.
Then I took a cloth napkin, cut out some rectangles, and free-hand drew some leaves on it with a brown Sharpie. Sewed them down, and frayed the fabric edges.
Some of you might recognize the base fabric from an earlier post that was dyed, painted, shibori dyed, and then painted a bit more. There are gold circles on this fabric so I thought a little repetition of the shape would look nice, but do wish I had used sheers for the circles. They are awfully prominent on this piece.
Those are the only two things I would change, but when you have a deadline, you have to keep it. With 9 people participating in a challenge like this, you really don’t want to be the person who messes up the rotation.