Archive for May, 2016

Improv Quilt Completed and Bracelet

May 27, 2016

My Improv piece is completed:

Improv finished

I removed the quilting from the upper left side and replaced that entire section with another piece of fabric and curved quilting. Now the piece seems to flow across the top and keeps your eye moving over the surface.

A friend (Thank-you, Jody.) suggested I add some light to the center of those floral shaped objects, and I went with it. I was going to bead it, but this piece is a mix of traditional and modern, and beads didn’t seem quite right for it. Instead, I mixed up a light yellow paint and applied it with a foam pen.

And here is a picture of a completed bracelet:

IMG_0010

That poor bracelet has quite a story. It was finished in Arizona, and the first time I wore it, it fell off. I thought it might be too tight, so added another component.

The second time I wore it, it fell off again – this time in a friend’s driveway, and I didn’t realize it had fallen off. I actually drove over the poor thing. My friend’s neighbor spotted it in the driveway, and my friend gave it back to me. Thank-you, Jess.   Three of the components were damaged, and honestly, I should have remade the entire thing. It sure would have been easier to do, but no, I spent more time repairing the damaged components.

Process of elimination placed the blame on the magnetic clasp. This time I went to a bead store, and purchased a good magnetic clasp. Ta-da, now it stays on my wrist.

Another bracelet is being planned – a different design, and a Comfort quilt was also started this week, so stay tuned. There is more to come.

Hugs…

Improv Quilt Progress or Not

May 17, 2016

I’ve been steadily working away on my Improv Quilt, but have a dilemma. I love all the quilting designs I sewed except for the top row – where the cheerful flowers are rolling across the muslin at the top:

Improv quilted

Originally, I thought echo quilting would look great, but when I did it for the section on the left, those flowers are staring out from the quilt like a deer in headlights. Okay, maybe curved lines would look better. That’s what I did on the right top side.

Both quilting designs leaving me feeling “meh” – unexcited. I want this piece to sing. That top section is bringing me down.

So, I’m turning to all of you. Any and all suggestions would be deeply appreciated. My creative well has suddenly gone dry, and I really would like to finish the quilting on this piece, so I can block it, face it, and attach the hanging sleeve, and label.

 

Hugs…

Arizona Table Runner

May 7, 2016

The last project started in Arizona has been completed – the Mystery Quilt project – which ended up being a table runner:

Tablerunner

 

 

I am not a person who enjoys mystery projects. As soon as I finish one step, I want to move on to the second step. With mystery projects, you have to wait till each succeeding step is released. Waiting is not something I enjoy.  I also like focusing on one project at a time, so mystery projects and I have never been compatible.

For some inexplicable reason, I agreed to participate in this mystery project, and am I ever glad I did. I learned about the 10 Minute Block – which I altered as I didn’t like the big expanse of fabric in the corners. I fused strips of contrasting fabric down the middle of those corners, so the scale of all the pattern pieces is similar.

I learned about the Double Diamond ruler too, which was oodles of fun for the interlocking braid strip.

And last but not least, I learned about the Flights of Fancy 5 Minute block. By the way, none of the blocks actually took 5 or 10 minutes. Much debating, much rearranging, and much sewing and un-sewing took place, so I ended up spending lots more time on these simple blocks. Now that I know what I’m doing, these blocks would actually take 5 or 10 minutes to sew, but there had to be over 40 of us in this workshop, and trying to get everybody on the same page, at the same time, was quite a feat.  Our teacher did a great job leading this workshop.

I did change the layout a bit. The extra black strips between the blocks added some length, and the sashing added a bit more.

I am quite pleased with how this table runner turned out. The turned edges of the Cathedral window type blocks, and the braided strip added wonderful dimension, and I like the fabric choices.

Now to finish the quilting on my improv quilt, face it, attach a hanging sleeve, and label. I’ll share a photo of that as soon as I finish it. Hopefully, it will be including in an upcoming exhibit, and then I have a long list of scrap quilts I’d like to make, and garments to make.  Yes, I would like to make some items of clothing for myself.  I find I am drawn to skirts, and don’t have any casual ones in my wardrobe.  When I googled cotton skirts, I was appalled at the prices, so will see if I can manage to make a few – with pockets.  I gotta have pockets.

Hugs…